Monday, October 31, 2011

She Blinded Me With Science

A little over a month ago, Kristen's husband Vince asked me to help throw a science-themed birthday/costume party for Kristen.  I jumped at the opportunity!  I think I scared Vince a bit with all my party-planning, because not too soon after, he spilled the beans to Kristen and she and I took over the planning.

Decorations:  We went for a combo Halloween/evil laboratory theme.  Ya know, because every laboratory has flasks with colorful liquids in them.




Food:  Kristen took care of the appetizers, I took the desserts, and we both helped with the main course (tacos).

Appetizers: jalapeno popper dip, tortilla chips, assorted salsas, pita chips, artichoke spinach dip, jalapeno poppers, and petri dish jello shots.


Petri Dish Jello Shots: kid-friendly jello with body part gummies and adult-friendly jellos



Desserts: Candy corn centerpiece, chocolate cupcakes with pop rocks, chocolate pretzel "creatures," peanut butter balls, and science-themed candy



Candies: starbursts ("supernovas"), smarties, pop rocks, and nerds



Costumes:  People were asked to dress in science or sci-fi costumes.  There were several (Shaun from "Shaun of the Dead," Freddy Krueger and his victim, vampire and a vampiress, Star Trek officer) that I didn't get pictures of, but here's the ones I did:

Jason and I went low-key by dressing up as Coke and Mentos (Unfamiliar with what this has to do with science?  Watch Mythbusters describe the science here)



Kristen and Vince went all out by dressing up as a dissected frog and a skeleton.


Clint and Kelly cracked me up with their homemade Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.




We had a really great time, eating way too much food and telling Enthalpy "horror" stories.  I miss these girls!



More pictures to come...

No comments: