Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Jason and I decided to avoid the hubbub of traveling for Thanksgiving.  This could only mean one thing -- I would try to cook a Thanksgiving dinner.  I wasn't too worried (after all, it was just me and Jason eating, so not trying to impress anyone)... except for the turkey.  Oh man, I was worried about cooking that turkey.

Wednesday night, I brined the turkey, which wasn't too bad except that the cavity was still frozen and the neck really didn't want to come out.  Oh yeah, and my child was upstairs screaming while Jason tried to comfort him.  Not sure WHAT was up with that!

Thursday morning, I rinsed off the brine, stuffed the turkey with apples and onions, and slathered it with butter (which should have been room temp, but oh well) and herbs.




Two hours later, the final product:



Yum!

Other things on the menu: dressing, gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, crescent rolls


Double Yum!
In the past, I have written about Thanksgivings at my parents' house.  We usually have quite a crowd (up to 14 one year).  Here's all the attendees at our shindig:


"Mama, are you really going to eat ALL that food?!?"

Someone got a bit fussy, so I picked him up.  I know, I know, but it's hard to resist that face.


1 comment:

Sara! said...

So nice to stay home sometimes instead of rushing around to other houses! I am also PARANOID about cooking a turkey - I haven't ever done it either! LOL. Great job!