Friday, April 13, 2012

The Things I Hear...

As a teacher, there are things I hear on a daily basis that I REALLY wish I hadn't heard.  Sometimes my students are so caught up in the drama of being a teen that they forget adults are around.  But that's not what this post is about...  this is about things that are actually said TO me that surprise me.

~"Where can I buy some of that?!?"  The first day back from Spring Break, I wanted to get the class excited about chemistry, so I showed this video of potassium metal exploding.  Were they interested?  Yes, actually!  Were they a bit too interested?  *scared face* Maybe...
~"I'm getting a tattoo of you."  Two guys in my first period told me they were getting matching tattoos of me on their arms.  I know they're kidding, of course.  At least, I think they're kidding.
~"Are we using dynamite today?"  I don't know... this student just came into class asking.  He followed it up by asking if I wanted to buy his lunch for him that day.
~"Why are we just learning about this NOW?!?" We watched this video about Bernoulli's Principle.  After you watch a You Tube video, it suggests other similar videos you might like.  They liked the original video so much, that one student asked to watch the next one.  Mistake.  It was a teacher talking to ELEMENTARY STUDENTS about Bernoulli's Principle.  They were embarrassed/outraged that little kids somewhere are learning the same material they are.  Oops!

If Bill Cosby wants to do a spin-off of his show "Kids Say the Darndest Things," I wouldn't definitely suggest looking into producing "High School Students Say the Darndest Things."

2 comments:

Amanda English said...

You could write a book after a few years! ;) xoxo A-

Unknown said...

It certainly never boring here!