Friday, November 1, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Mama

3:00-4:00am -- Either Tyler wakes me up during this time for one last feeding of the night, or my alarm goes off at 4:00 for me to get up and wake him for it.
4:45-6:15am -- I finish up feeding a boy (or get up from a 20-minute catnap depending on when I fed him last), take a shower, eat breakfast, pack my lunch, and get ready for work.  I make sure his bottles are labeled and ready to go, and I fill out his progress report note indicating whether he had a good night and the time of his last BM (who knew I'd come to track these?)

6:15am -- Drive to work.
6:30am -- Pumping #1 in the back stockroom.  I've been bringing a second cup of (decaf) coffee this week, so I sip on that and read my Bible reading for the day (yay for Bible apps on my new phone!).
6:45-7:25am -- Getting ready for the day -- things like putting out notes, getting the PowerPoint ready, checking work email, etc.

7:25-9:11am -- 1st period Physical Science -- These students are a dream!  I have a really small class (only 18), they work well together, and stay on task.  There's definitely worse ways I could start my day!  I even occasionally get the chance to do some light grading or lab setup while they're working.
9:17-10:40am -- Planning period.  I start off with Pumping #2, usually while grading papers.  Then, I eat a snack (this week it's been graham crackers, a banana, and peanut butter... yum!) and plan.  Planning involves working on my notes/labs/activities/worksheets, making copies, running work over to students in in-school suspension... basically anything I need to do to be ready for the next day/week/unit.
10:46-12:09 -- 3rd period Earth Science -- They're a little chatty, but nothing I haven't dealt with before.
12:14-12:49pm -- Lunch and Pumping #3.  Basically the only two things I get accomplished during this time.
12:55-2:18pm -- 4th period Earth Science -- The Purpose-Driven Life would call this an EGR (Extra Grace Required) class.  They ... they're special.  I've only had a week with them, so I'm hoping things will improve.

2:18~3:30/4:00pm -- Pumping #4.  Setting up for the next day, "office hours" for any students who need to make up tests or need extra help (I rarely have anyone stop by), and setting up for the next day.
4:30pm -- My boys come home!  I read Tyler's progress report to see how his day went, and then I'm all about him.  We usually play on the couch, where I ask him about his day, tell him about mine, and we share lots of smiles and giggles with each other.  I also usually feed him during this time.
6:00pm -- I go make dinner while Jason plays with Tyler.
6:30pm -- Dinner, followed by cleaning up and making Tyler's bottles for the next day.
7:00pm -- Bath time, followed by Tyler's bedtime feeding and bedtime.
8:00pm -- I go back downstairs and watch an hour of tv with Jason.  A lot of times, he has fallen asleep on the couch waiting for me.
9:00pm -- Parent bedtime.
12:00~1:00am -- Feed Tyler.
3:00-4:00am -- Feed Tyler, and start the day all over again.

2 comments:

Sara! said...

Whew, you have a busy day!!!

Rachel said...

I have no idea how you find time to pump 4 times a day! I'm impressed and proud of you!