Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Happy Birthday, Tyler!

365 days ago, our world changed forever.










A few months back, a friend of mine asked me how I liked motherhood.  My response caught her (and me!) a bit off-guard.  "Eh, it's alright."

Motherhood is hard.  You're responsible for keeping another human being alive.  You have to make all their important decisions for at least a period of their life.  How to get them to go to sleep without making them overly dependent on a specific routine.  When to switch them to solid foods while making sure they get the same nutrition that milk gave them.  What games to play and experiences to share to make sure they're growing intellectually as well as physically.  It's overwhelming sometimes!

Seconds after my shocking motherhood response, I quickly added, "But I love Tyler so much!!!!"

It's true.  Motherhood is beyond difficult, but this little guy makes every second worth it.


Well, almost every second.  Tyler, I'm going to get the snack you requested.  That snack is in the next room.  Wailing because I've left the room doesn't help me get that snack any quicker!


He is such a cool little guy.  His smile and laugh is downright infectious.

 



Monday night, Jason and Tyler were playing while I made dinner.  Jason had on a dinosaur hand puppet.  He would "eat" one of Tyler's toys and then "blaaagh!"  spit it back out.  Tyler was in stitches!  Vomit humor.  Hilarious.  Tyler kept handing him more and more and more toys (teethers, soft blocks, balls) so that the dinosaur could keep spitting them back out.


Sunday, Jason and Tyler were playing "clap clap clap your hands, claaaaaaaap your hands" and "clap clap clap your feet, claaaaaaaap your feet."  Again, he was dying laughing!  Son, never lose the ability to take joy in the simple things.

tearing paper... awesome!

The scientist/psychologist (still claiming my minor as part of my identity)/marveler at the Creator God/teacher in me loves watching him grow and develop.  I wrote this blog post about two weeks ago.  Since then, he now says bubbles (requesting his Bubbles Bubbles book) perfectly (no indistinguishable "bah" here).  He now waves both hands and says "All done!" when he's done eating (and sometimes when he's ready to get out of the bathtub).  Last night, he came home saying "bless you!" after you say it to him.  I just can't keep up with all that he knows and all he is learning about the world!




"I will praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful" 
 --Psalm 139:14

Tyler brings us so much joy.  Jason and I give each other knowing looks at least several times a day, either a "Did you see what he just did?" look or a "This guy is so cool!" look.

Ok, I could go on and on and on and on, but I'd never have enough words, so I'll sum it up:

Happy birthday, little man.  We love you so much!


No comments: