Friday, April 1, 2016

Grandma Visit

At the end of February, we traveled to Nebo for Jaina's first birthday party.  We had a great time, but all in all, it was a pretty chaotic weekend... long drives, a lot crammed into very little time, both Holly and me having to be on a very regimented schedule, Tyler and Sawyer having a "sleepover", etc..  On the way home, Jason looked at me and said "I can't do this again any time soon."

Problem: we were planning on visiting Jamesville in March.
Solution: invite Grandma to visit us instead!

I'm absolutely horrible about taking pictures when people visit (especially my family).  So here is a mostly-pictureless rundown of the weekend.

Friday: 
Mom was already at our house when I got off work.  We caught up with each other before everyone else got home, and then there was lots of playing with grandkids that occurred.  One of the many things Mama has missed since Daddy passed is grilled food (my dad was king of the grill), so Jason grilled us steaks and I made real baked potatoes (no microwave for us tonight!).  We stuffed ourselves and called it an early night.

Saturday:
Jason left for some early-morning photography while Mom and I played with the kiddos.  We all ran a few errands together, then went to the Leesville community library.  We ended up stumbling into a "kids hour" (that was thankfully only 15 minutes!).  Tyler had a great time listening to stories, singing songs, etc.

After that, we visited Duck Donuts to treat Grandma to its deliciousness (she was a fan!) and headed back home for lunch.  While Tyler napped, I did too (oops!) and woke up to find Grandma on the deck having some quality Holly time.  I think the pictures say it all...




Saturday night, we went out to a sushi restaurant (my mom likes sushi, who knew?) and had a really great (and really yummy) time.

Sunday:
We couldn't quite get ready in time for early church, but we made it to the 11:00 service a little out of breath, but present at least.  About five minutes into service I made a startling realization -- I had left Holly's bottle on high in the warmer.  That meant 1) Holly was bottleless at church and 2) that bottle was going to be ruined by the time we got home from church.  Now, without getting into too many details, let's just say that it takes a lot of effort to make one bottle, so I was upset about the prospect of that hard work going to waste.  So Jason decided to drive home (we had driven two vehicles) to turn off the milk.  If Holly got hungry (which was a pretty strong likelihood), I would feed her the "old fashioned" way.  Which, she did.  So, I did.  Which meant I left Mom in service by herself while I went to take care of Holly.  We got back just in time to hear the last hymn.  Kind of a crazy church service for the Selfs, but I think we rolled with the punches fairly well!  After church and after lunch, Mom got on the road.  The weekend was far too short for me, but I think we all had a really good time.

No comments: