Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekend Update, Friday and Saturday

We had quite the weekend, so here's the update...

Friday:
Jason and I went around looking at houses... again.  We revisited two that we have seen before.  Revisiting closed the door on one of them, but the other one became our main contender.  We believe the homeowners are asking too much for their house and after some research, we realized why.  They bought the house in 2007 and really overpaid for it.  The owners would have to take a pretty significant loss (something I'm sure they're unwilling to do) for us to be able to afford that house, so it looks like it's more house-hunting for the Selfs.

This will probably not be our house... :(

We cheered ourselves up by eating at Five Guys for dinner.  Jason's facial hair has prevented him from eating the delicious burgers the past few months, so it was quite the treat! (PS, this is a picture I found online.  We ate our burgers far too quickly for me to take a picture first!)



Saturday:
We were up before dawn (yes, on the weekend) and were at Duke Gardens at 7:00, an hour before they officially open.  I know, we're rebels.  Everything was so quiet, and we had a really great time taking pictures of flowers, bugs, and ducks.  Jason learned a lot about portraits in last week's photo workshop, so he even did an impromptu photo shoot with me as the subject.







After showers and corn dog lunch (yum!), we went out for Dairy Queen Blizzards and to see The Avengers.  We really liked it.  We like action movies that also have a plot and some humor in it.  Start with a good movie and then add the action, not the other way around.  Are you listening, Michael Bay?


I would definitely recommend The Avengers to others.  I've seen all the related movies (well, I fell asleep halfway through Captain America) except for the Hulk, and I think it's pretty necessary to know the back stories in order to fully enjoy, but even a Marvel novice would have a good time.

Sunday:
On Friday, one of my seniors gave me a gift card to Bruegger's Bagels.  Jason and I went out for breakfast before going to church.  We never really do that, so it was fun... and free!



Sunday afternoon, I was in a real funk about house-hunting.  Jason decided we should play around in Lowe's, looking at fun stuff like paint colors, countertops, and tiles.  After that, we drove around looking at a couple of houses we had seen online.  At one of the houses, I got out of the car to grab an info sheet.  I got back into the car before I realized the paper was COVERED in ants!  I mean, hundreds of ants!!!!  I opened the door, threw the paper outside, then realized I was now covered in ants, too!  I jumped out of the car and began frantically getting the ants off of me while Jason killed all the ants still in the car.  Traumatic?  Yes. Got my mind off of house stuff?  You betcha!

Monday:
Jason went out and took sunrise photos while I cleaned up the house.  Then, we went over to John and Kristen's house for a Memorial Day cookout.  It was really fun to hang out with friends and eat yummy food... so fun that I forgot to take any pictures!  I guess that's ok though because this post is getting really long.

What was the highlight of your weekend?


4 comments:

Stuart said...

House hunting is evil. We put an offer on a near perfect home (3.67 acres!) for us Saturday. The list price was in our price range, if at the top of it. So we were quickly informed that offers needed to be at or above list price to be considered... So we tried to bid what we could, even did 3000 over list, to no avail. They took another offer, who knows how much. Now, we are crestfallen. House hunting is EVIL.

Stuart said...

Also, lesson learned from first offer...
Do not get excited. People will congratulate you on making an offer for some reason as if you have bought the house. You haven't, not yet.

Unknown said...

That really stinks. So far, we've talked ourselves out of all of our contenders before putting in an offer. Otherwise, we'd be in the same crestfallen boat.

Sorry your house didn't come through. Who knows, maybe they'll back out during the contingent period.

Amanda English said...

Don't get discouraged, just remember one door will close and another will open. God's just waiting for the PERFECT house for you guys!!! AND ugh to the ants that sounds terrible!!! PS - I'm available if Jason needs a model ;)