Monday, January 20, 2014

How Old is My Kid?

I know people say to new parents "Treasure every minute, because they'll be grown up before you know it."  First of all, don't tell new parents that.  I'm sorry, but I don't know that I want to treasure the spit up, nights where he just won't sleep more than an hour at a time, or poop blowouts when we're out in public.  Secondly, you're right.  My kid seriously changes every day!

Meal times have always been difficult for us.  Jason keeps Tyler occupied while I make food, but then he hated being banished to his bouncy chair while we ate.  It's not like he was in another room or we ignored him.  He was right there beside us, and we made a regular point of talking to him, trying to make him laugh, or dancing to his bouncy chair's music.

Well, my fussy-at-mealtimes baby has more or less disappeared every since Jason put together his new highchair (thanks, Grandma and Pa!).  He was a little apprehensive at first...


...but loves that he can play with toys while sitting (He loves sitting... as long as it's not in your lap on the couch.  He still hates that).



The past couple of days, we haven't put his tray on at all.  That way, he has access to his favorite toy -- his feet.  I need to capture some pictures of him grabbing his feet and then extending his legs, but he's keeping himself occupied while we eat, so I usually have other things on my mind.

Other "holy cow, that's cool" things my kiddo can do:
~He is now a tummy-time pro.



~He can roll multiple times in a row, basically until he hits an obstacle.

ta-dah!
~The other day, Jason sent me this picture:


He can now feed himself?!?

~In addition to his normal "talking," he now loves to make raspberry noises with his mouth.  He does this all the time, even as he's falling back to sleep in the middle of the night.
~He grabs everything in sight.  For the most part we let him, all the while teaching him about temperatures and textures (the cold, smooth soda can, the soft blanket that he is allowed to touch but not eat...).  Unfortunately, he also tries to grab the remote, our phones, Jason's glasses, and my hair.  Sometimes when he's eating, he'll bat at my hair like it's one of his dangly toys.  So cute!

~About a million other things, but who's counting? :-D


2 comments:

Jenelle Leanne said...

:) Ahhhh, he's getting so big!!!!

Amanda English said...

EEK! Love him! SQUEEEEEEZE!