Sunday, April 27, 2014

Chronicles of a Working Mom -- Part 5, Changing my Mind

When I put out the all-call for questions and comments on Facebook, I got two similar questions, one from a fellow teacher mom and one from a friend who was a former working mom but is now a s-a-h mom.

"Would you change your decision if the deciding factors (finances, long term career goals, etc.) changed?"

"Would you continue working if you had more kids?  Would you continue if you were no longer bringing home much extra money due to paying for childcare?"





Would I ever consider being a stay-at-home mom?  The answer is a resounding yes.

I mentioned before that the original Megan-and-Jason plan was for me to stay at home.  What happened?  Life happened.  Now, it's our plan for me to work.  What might change that?  Life.


... Is teaching no longer my passion and calling?  I would stay at home.

... Does the state of North Carolina continue to disrespect the value of public education and public teachers to the point that the benefits stop outweighing the hardships?  I would stay at home.

... Does Tyler (or hypothetical other Self babies) need me at home?  I would stay at home.
(sidenote on this one: Tyler's teacher recently left SAS because there were some hardships in her family that needed 100% of her attention.  That opened my eyes to this possibility)

... Do I have three kids all under school age at the same time (3x the cost of daycare?  petrifying!) and/or two kids of similar age in daycare together (meaning several years of 2x the cost)?  I would probably stay at home.

... Do we win the lottery (that we don't play) or receive a huge inheritance from a superrich relative we didn't know we had?  I would consider staying at home.  Sure, I'm a teacher because I love it, but I think I could embrace the "rich and don't need to work" lifestyle if I had to.  You know, if I was forced to have a ton of money... :)

... Does God tell me to?  I would stay at home.  I've heard before (and quoted this in my blog before)

"Want to hear God laugh?  Tell Him your plans."

If I could, I would plan out every second of every minute of my life (yes, I'm that big of a planner).  God knows this and likes to throw me curve balls to make sure I remember that He's sovereign, not me.

Next Up: The Ups and Downs of Working Momitude

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.  Please share yours in the comments section.

No comments: