Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Nebo Trip -- Linville Falls

We finally got to our main destination -- Linville Falls.  Jason had found a trail that led to the bottom of the falls.  Sure, it said "difficult" on the trail map, but it was only a half-mile hike, so how difficult could it be?

Answer -- very difficult.

I don't have a lot of pictures of us on the trail (my hands were too occupied most of the time), but I'll try to paint you a word picture.

Conversation at the truck:
Me: "Should I Bjorn Tyler?" [put Tyler in the Baby Bjorn]
Jason: "It's just a half mile."
Benny: "And we have several sets of hands to carry him."
Me: "Ok"

(PS, I wasn't too keen on the idea of the Baby Bjorn anyway)

About 100 yards or so into the hike, Jody decided it was a bit too strenuous for her, so she found a spot on a stump and said to text her if the hike got easier along the way.  She never got that text from us...



So what was the hike like?

One-person wide.  We'd have to stop and let fellow hikers by (who were headed back from the falls) because we couldn't both proceed at the same time.  We got several weird looks from them.  I have a sneaking suspicion they were thinking "They're bringing a baby on this hike?!?"  Some even warned us to be careful as we proceeded.

Rooty.  If there was superawesome stuff above me on the hike, I never saw it.  I spent the whole time staring at my feet.  Each step had to be evaluated and contemplated to make sure I didn't trip.

Steep.  Even though we were headed to the bottom of the falls, we did quite a bit of both uphill and downhill to get to our destination.

Rocky.  We're talking rocks that were 2-3 feet high and usually involved the use of your arms to get up or down them.  There were several rocks where one person would have to go ahead and get Tyler handed to him/her so the next person could scramble across the rocks.

Heavy.  No wait, that's how I would describe my squirmy boy, not the hike.


What else was the hike like?

Awesome!  It's been a while since I've done a hike like that.  You feel the endorphin rush of really "doing something" when you're on a hike like this.

happy hikers

Worth it.






No comments: