Thursday, March 14, 2013

Delicioso!

A few nights ago, I got really ambitious and cooked up quite a meal for the 2 of us.  No pictures, because by the time it was all done, I wanted to devour it, not photograph it!

Baked Tilapia:
Nothing special here.  I patted tilapia fillets with a paper towel, brushed a bit of olive oil on them, and sprinkled on salt (and pepper?  can't remember), chili powder, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay.  I cooked it in a 400-degree oven for 5-10 minutes, then finished it under the broiler.

Black-eyed Pea Salad:
This is a Paula Deen recipe I found in a magazine.  I prepared it over an hour before we ate to let the flavors marry, but it was a little bland the first night.  I'd definitely recommend making the day before to really give the flavors time.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1.5 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 clove chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp sugar, pinch of salt, and pepper.
Add 1 can of black-eyed peas (I used Luck's brand), handful of sliced grape tomatoes, 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped), and 1 finely chopped jalapeno

Cover, refrigerate, and serve cold.  I thought it was a nice change from our normal sides.  Jason was less impressed.  I think I'll still make it again, especially during the summer when turning on the oven or stove seems evil.

Mexican Cornbread:
I got this recipe from my mom, but she's not the original creator.  Neither of us are quite sure who came up with it in the first place.  Mom knows of at least three potential "sources" for the awesomeness.  It is easy to whip up and was a BIG HIT with Mr. Self!  We've been basing the rest of our meals this week off of what would go well with a side of cornbread. Answer: most anything.

3 eggs
2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup sour cream (Kara has used plain Greek yogurt in a pinch)
1/2 cup chopped seeded jalapenos (I found this was about 4 peppers)
1/2 cup oil
1 can cream-style corn
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup grated cheddar (the sharper the better)
1 cup grated pepper jack (my mom's addition to the recipe... the original just calls for the 1 cup of cheddar cheese)

In a large bowl, beat the eggs.  All all the other ingredients and mix well.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 min until top is light brown.

Seriously tasty.  It's sweet and cheesy and spicy and just really great comfort food.

No comments: