Wednesday, July 24, 2013

36 Weeks

At 36 weeks, I'm now in the weekly doctor's appointments, so I'm going to try to do weekly belly photos as well.  Here's a few Jason took before my baby shower on Sunday:



No major developments have occurred since my post last week, so I won't go through all the "what size is the baby," and "how am I sleeping" details.  Here's a little of what we've got going on.

Since last weekend was one of our last showers, we've now transitioned into the "What do we need to buy before the baby comes?" part of the pregnancy.  There's not too much on the list, just a few large things (like the glider for the nursery) and a few small things (like mittens to make sure he doesn't scratch his precious little face).

I've started packing our hospital bags.  Boy, that makes it all pretty real!

While I still refuse to go to any classes, I'm taking advantage of SAS's classes (say that 3 times fast) that are on DVD and getting my learn on from the privacy of my own house.  It's much easier to stop for bathroom/snack breaks or take a reprieve when I get horrified when I'm all by myself!

We really are making some progress on the names.  We made it through the rest of the alphabet on Jason's baby app Monday night, and we narrowed and narrowed and we're down to less than 10 names.  No clear winner yet, but we've got a pretty set deadline (aka, leaving the hospital after he's born!), so I'm sure we'll come to a conclusion some time soon.  And no, we will NOT name our son the same name that Will and Kate choose!

Mom came and stayed with us Sunday night.  We talked through the logistics of making the "we're in labor" call to her and Daddy and what the first few weeks after Lilhimself arrives will look like.  For those who don't know, my awesome mom has agreed to stay with us the first week to help with the transition into parenthood.  Jason also gets paternity leave, which I can't thank SAS enough for!  I couldn't imagine being on my own with the baby right away!

4 comments:

Amanda English said...

I was gonna ask are you going to wait until you hear the name of the royal babe? But more a less a joke. HA!

That's awesome your mom is going to stay with you guys!

I hope SAS has good paternity leave! I'd be curious if it compares to Duke's paternity. ;)

Unknown said...

2 weeks... his current plan is to take off the whole first week, then spread out the "2nd" week by going back every other day during weeks 2&3. None of this is set in stone, since it all depends on how the delivery goes, how healthy the baby is, and how well we adjust.

The good news is he has about a billion vacation days, too, so he has some flexibility if needed.

Jenelle Leanne said...

Paternity leave is Fantastic! IBM gives 2 weeks as well.

Derek's recommendation is just take the two weeks in a chunk... because the second you start going back, the company's expectations are that you are "back..." and your leave sort of blends away.

With Leiana he took one full week off, and then went into the office in the mornings for 2 weeks... or at least, that was the plan... but of course he ended up staying at the office later and later and it wasn't really like being on leave at all.

With Nathalie, he just stayed home for 2 weeks. It was much nicer.

Every family is different, of course. :) That was just our experience.

Katherine said...

Wesley got paternity leave when Eli was born and since I had to have a C-section he got to stay home longer(3 weeks). I couldn't have made it those first weeks without him and all the help from family. Glad your Mom is coming to stay. Thats a comfort and a blessing!