Monday, June 15, 2015

Herring Festival 5k

Two words to describe my March -- family and running.

March was an endless road trip visiting Charlotte and Nebo.  Our third stop was technically in April, visiting Jamesville.

Interspersed through March, I was trying to get back into running shape.  Last year, Jamesville's Herring Festival created a new event -- a 5k race.  Kara ran in it, and I promised her then that I would run in the 2015 one.  Kara and I even trash-talked each other some (between assuring each other just how OUT of shape we were!).  Which Davenport girl would prevail?

Well... me... by default.  Kara found out a few days before the race that she was pregnant (yay!!!!) and didn't think it was wise for her to run in the race.  I think she was just scared of her baby sister. :)  Kara, Mom, and Addison were great cheerleaders, though, driving to various spots along the route so they could cheer me on.  And Kelly (Kara's husband), and Toby (Kara's brother-in-law), and Garrett (Kara's nephew), and Macy (Kara's niece), and ... well, let's just say a lot of Kara's in-laws were running, too!

The 5K route -- they had to get creative since my town isn't 5k in size!
It was a big crowd -- 93 signed up, 81 actually ran.  There were a lot of high school track/cross country kids, so I wasn't exactly trying to win.  I was just trying to finish well in my age bracket (30-39).  Kelly's main goal was for me not to beat him!


Me and Kelly after the race.  Apparently I helped him pace out the first mile before he blew by me and never looked back.  Ok, he looked back a lot.  I really think he was worried I was going to pass him!  (I didn't)

My goal was to run it in 28 minutes.  My realistic goal (since I hadn't been able to accomplish the 28-mark in any of my practice runs) was to run in under 30 minutes.  Well, at 29:55, I just barely made it!  Not a great time, but it was a tough (aka, poorly-planned-out) course that I had never run before.  Kelly came in about 30 seconds before me. 

I knew the top-finishing woman (25:38, holy cow!) was in my age-bracket, so I was hoping for 2nd place.  When they announced the medal winners, I was shocked to hear them announce me for 1st place!  Apparently they omit the top medal winners from the age-bracket competition.

The 30-39 winners -- Emma Shipley, me, and Helen Lytle
All in all, it was a pretty great day.  I will definitely run the race again, because I know I can do better.  The fact that I was unknowingly one month pregnant at the time probably made a difference!  But that's a story for another time...


No comments: