Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Pregnant!

Kara and Kelly had been trying for baby #2 for a while.  Last fall, Jason and I decided that the timing was right for us to try for our own little baby #2.  When Kara called me a few days before the 5k and shared the good news, I was superexcited!  It was too early for her to be telling people, but she said she knew she had to give me a legitimate reason for bowing out of the race.

During that phone conversation, I shared with her that we too were planning for a new addition.  "No time soon," I remember telling her, "but maybe we'll be pregnant together for some part of the time."

Ha, God's got a funny sense of humor.  After the Jamesville visit and quietly talking baby stuff with Kara (Addison didn't know at the time), I started thinking about things... and timing... and went to my calendar.  Huh.  It's been a while.  Maybe I should get a test.

That following Monday, I bought a pregnancy test and went home and took it.  At no point did I think I was pregnant.  I had had no symptoms.  Last time, with Tyler, I "knew" for about two weeks before actually taking the test (wanted to get past Christmas visits with family).  So honestly, I had no expectation that I was pregnant.  In fact, it was past the recommended 2-3 minutes (whatever it is) before I went back and looked at the test:

PREGNANT

I just stared at it.  What?!?  When people ask me about this pregnancy, some have asked was it "a surprise."  Well no, not in the sense that they mean, but I sure as heck was surprised!

Then, I jumped in my car and drove to Carter's.  Last time, I told Jason by giving him a onesie.  This time, I decided I would tell him by buying Tyler a "Big Brother" tshirt.  Thank goodness Carter's had one!  (and I do mean "one" ... I had to search all over that store to find it!)

When Jason and Tyler walked through the door, I said, "Hey, I bought Tyler a shirt" and frantically held it up for Jason to see.  From his face, I'm guessing he was just as surprised!



I called Kara about an hour later.  4 weeks -- waaaaaay to soon for me to tell people, but she had to know!  Turns out we're due a week apart from each other.  It's quite an exciting time for the Davenports these days!

No comments: