Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Different Type of "Quick Fix"

Since our lives are 100% house house house these days, meal time has become a game of "what's the fastest thing we can eat so we can get back to work?"  As yummy as sandwiches and corndogs are, eating them nearly every meal gets really old really fast.

At the grocery store Monday, I was trying to figure out something quick and easy to do with chicken (which was already thawing in the fridge) and rice.  Enter the international foods aisle and a new friend of mine -- curry simmer sauce.


I don't know what made me buy it.  I've never really eaten Indian food.  I always assumed it was really spicy, so I kept my distance.  Oh dumb Meg, you have been missing out for so so long!

Step 1: Start rice cooking in the rice cooker.  Yes, I own a rice cooker.  Yes, it's awesome.  Yes, you're jealous.




Step 2: Brown diced chicken in a pan.


Step 3: Add simmer sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.






Step 4: Eat.


25 minutes from start to finish, and we were eating one of the tastiest meals we've had in a while.  It was so easy to make and so flavorful without being spicy at all.  Now, I'm not claiming this is the same as authentic Indian cuisine.  What I am claiming is that this was a simple 3-ingredient meal that was well worth the risk.

No comments: