Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Veggie-Lover's Fave

I love food.  Salty, sweet, healthy, guilty pleasure, doesn't matter.  You serve it to me, I'll eat it.  Much to Jason's chagrin, this also means I'm a veggie lover.  Seriously.  With the exception of brussel sprouts (which I still can't get into), I love all vegetables.

A favorite Sesame Street character from my childhood, Captain Vegetable


I hate to pick favorites, especially when it comes to food, but one of my favorite vegetables to cook with is zucchini squash.


Zucchini is awesome!  It's relatively inexpensive (especially in-season), cooks up very quickly, has a mild flavor (which makes it one of the few veggies Jason is ok eating), and lends itself to a variety of meals.

Some of my favorites:
~Added to spaghetti sauce for a pasta night pick-me-up
~Combined with eggplant and tomatoes for ratatouille (and yes, I did have to google how to spell that)
~Stir fried with onions and chicken and served over rice
~Grilled to go along with chicken or steak
~Hidden in zucchini bread

Zucchini is delicious and nutritious.  According to Wikipedia, zucchini is low in calories (15cal for every 100g) and contains folate, potassium, Vitamin A, and manganese.  So next time you're looking for something green to add to a meal, turn to zucchini -- this veggie-lover's fave.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I didn't read the post in detail, but I sporadicaly remember to check back and read what you're up too...

Just thought you should know that I have the song phrase "It is I, Captain Vegetable, with my Carrots! and my Celergy" stuck in my head now. Must find video clip to free up brain space again.