Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Freedom

Today marks four years since I left Enthalpy.  Four glorious years.

I'll never forget the day I resigned.  Kristen and I were having our daily meeting with our direct supervisor (and president of the company) Steve.  Kristen knew about my resignation, so our plan was for her to leave after the meeting so that I could resign in private.  That plan didn't work, though, because Steve wanted to talk one-on-one with her after our meeting.  He dismissed me, and I told him that I needed to stay and talk to him.  Kristen got up to leave, but he told her to stay.

So I resigned in front of my coworker.  Awkward.  Steve's response?  He turned to Kristen and said, "You know this will make our meeting a lot longer now."  He also asked me why I was leaving and couldn't understand how "I'm not happy" was a valid reason.  Nor could he understand how I could quit my job with no other job in my horizon.  I thought it in poor taste to tell him that I just had to get away from his toxic company before I had a nervous breakdown at 25, new job or not.

Before I left, I snapped these pictures to make me never forget what I left behind.

Job folders.  Keep in mind that every job had to be completed in eight or less business days, and that we got new jobs each day.  Oh yeah, and that we were a two-person department.

Our job board.  For the most part, blue jobs were Kristen's, orange jobs were mine, and green jobs were spectrophotometric jobs that we had acquired after major layoffs a few months before.

Keys in hand, ready to go.  You can tell I'm super upset, can't you?

I'm thankful for my time at Enthalpy.  I loved being a chemist.  I loved all the wet chemistry (sample prep) and analysis.  I like that I have real-world science experience to share with my students.  I like that no matter how bad things may be as a teacher, I've yet to cry in a bathroom stall, which was a company norm at Enthalpy for me and several of my coworkers.  It's all about perspective, isn't it?

Celebrating four years of freedom today.  It sure feels good.

1 comment:

Amanda English said...

I can't believe it's been 4 years!!! 4 years!