Monday, September 16, 2013

365 Days of Praise, Week 4

Sunday, 9/8:
There is going to come a time in my near future when I will go back to waking up at 4:45.  Actually, I take that back.  I'll probably have to get up at 4:00 to incorporate an extra feeding into my morning.  Sunday, the Selfs slept in (after multiple wake-up calls in the middle of the night, of course) around 8:00.  I'm thankful for sleep, glorious sleep.

Monday, 9/9:
Monday was a really good day.  I'm thankful for UPS baby gift deliveries, meals brought to us by friends, family naps on the couch, and a loving husband who still makes time for the two of us (we are still husband and wife after all, not just "Mom" and "Dad").

Tuesday, 9/10:
We have these bushes in the backyard that I think are the world's fastest-growing plants.  They grow shoots up to five feet tall, I kid you not.  Tuesday, I went out and tackled those shoots with my hedge trimmers.  After being cooped up in the house for the past several weeks, it felt cathartic to get outside, get sweaty, and get my hands dirty.  I'm thankful for manual labor.

Wednesday, 9/11:
Tuesday, Jason noticed a leak out by our water box (is that the right term?).  He called the water people to come look at it, and they said the leak is ours to repair (nothing wrong with the actual box, but somewhere between our house and the box).  So Jason called a plumber to assess the problem.  His estimate?  $6000.  What?!?  Jason had the wisdom to call three other plumbers, whose estimates were all several thousand dollars less than the first.  I'm thankful for my husband's wisdom and God's provision of funds to take care of this unexpected expense.

Thursday, 9/12:
"You're doing really well."  These words came from Tyler's pediatrician.  While I have felt we've been managing parenthood ok so far, it's so encouraging to hear this, especially from an expert.  I'm thankful for affirmation.

Friday, 9/13:
On Friday, Jason and I were able to eat a quick dinner without a screaming baby in the next room.  These moments are becoming fewer and farther between, so I'm thankful for peace and quiet.

Saturday, 9/14:
I couldn't resist the beautiful weather, so I urged Jason for some sort of outing (more on this in a later post once he edits his pictures).  45 minutes to feed Tyler + 20 minutes to get to our destination + a little boy that becomes fussy about an hour and 15 minutes after the BEGINNING of feeding = how do people do this???  I'm thankful for flexibility and learning the ropes as a parent.

No comments: