Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Muddy Puddles, Dodecahedrons, and Backpacks

As much as Jason and I watch tv, we try to keep Tyler from watching too much.  That is, until he was sick for two weeks.  We've created an addict!  Judge all you want, but my kiddo was sick, I was sick, and kid tv is awesome!  I actually like quite a few shows already.  Here's a few of his/my favorites:

Peppa Pig:
I loooooove Peppa Pig.  In fact, I'd probably watch episodes even if Tyler wasn't around.  Peppa Pig is a British show with this precocious (and a little bratty) pig named Peppa and her little brother George (who is obsessed with dinosaurs, so of course I love him).

picture: fanart.tv

It's difficult to explain why I love this show so much, but I'll try.  For one, it's British, and I kinda love all things British.  Secondly, so many little kid shows try to force lessons on sharing or manners or the like.  Many of the characters are syrupy sweet (I'm talking about you, Sheriff Callie, with your "it's not about who wins, but how much fun you're having").  Peppa is a very real little girl.  She will be playing a game with her friends and change the rules mid-game if she's not winning.  She will tell her brother he's too little too play, and he'll run off bawling.  I'm not saying that's good behavior, but that is what little kids are really like.

Thirdly, the episodes are everyday events (this one is about planting a flower garden), and they're five minutes long.  Short and sweet!  Plus, nearly every episode ends with the characters lying on the ground laughing, and I don't know, I think that's funny.


Finally, Tyler loves Peppa Pig.  It doesn't matter what he is doing (even if he's in another room), his head whips around to the tv if he hears the intro song.  Kinda like that episode of Seinfeld...



He doesn't necessarily watch the whole episode, but that intro gets him every time.


Other favorites:


Team Umizoomi:
Team Umizoomi is all about math, so I must admit I enjoy this show more than Tyler does.  Any show that teaches about measurement and dodecahedrons, not just counting to ten is a winner in my book.  Besides, I love to 2, 4, 6, 8 do the craaaaaazy shake at the end of every episode.

picture: cartoonbrew.com
Dora the Explorer:
No need to explain who Dora is.  While Tyler doesn't really watch the episodes, there is one part he does like -- backpack.  You can sing "Backpack, backpack!" to him, and he will grin ear to ear.

picture: revivingworkethic.com

Bubble Guppies:
The main draw for this show is that Tyler loves music and this show has some catchy tunes, especially their staples -- the lunch time song and the outside song.



Catchy, no?




(All videos from You Tube)

No comments: