Friday, November 11, 2011

Self Update -- Food

Working full-time again has definitely changed the way we eat dinner.  There seem to be a lot more PB&J or breakfast-for-dinner nights than elaborate meals that take an hour to prepare.  Every once in a while, I still manage to whip up something fun for dinner.  Here's a few things we've had this week:

Jambalaya.  The only jambalaya I've ever had is when I make it, so I can't speak for its authenticity or deliciousness, but I like it.  The rebel in me usually alters recipes before I even try them, but I follow Anne Burrell's recipe nearly word for word.  I cut the recipe in half this time because it makes a TON!  The one thing I forgot to cut in half -- the spices (red pepper flakes and cayenne).  Even Jason had a hard time eating it, and he loves spicy food!



Mac and Cheese.  I sometimes bring baked macaroni and cheese to potlucks, but it's usually so labor-intensive that I don't make it for just the two of us.  Tuesday night, I made stove-top mac and cheese with a few modifications.  I didn't have a 1/2 pound of any one pasta (not sure how that happened), so I made mac/penne/rotini and cheese.  Also, Jason really likes smoked cheeses, so I made it with smoked cheddar.  Yummy yum yum!

Enchiladas.  Very few weeks go by without us having some kind of Mexican food.  C'mon, it's cheap, cooks up really fast, consists mostly of pantry items, and is mighty tasty!  Enchiladas are a fun way to mix it up from the usual quesadillas or burritos.  Want the recipe?  Go to the grocery store, buy the enchilada sauce, and follow the recipe on the back.  Hey, I made two other things from scratch, I'm allowed to "cheat" on the enchiladas!


What "I have no time, but I need to cook something" meals do you make?

1 comment:

Jenelle Leanne said...

Chili - lb of ground beef, can of diced italian style tomatoes, can of tomato paste, can of chili beans, chili seasoning packet. Serve over cooked noodles, top with cheese, crackers, and sour cream.

Pork Tacos - throw 2-4 lbs of boneless pork roast in the crock-pot with 1 cup salsa and one can diced green chilies (6-8 hours). Pull it out and shred it with two forks. Serve either with cheese and sour cream on tortillas, OR on buns with BBQ sauce.

Pancakes - the just add water kind. :) If I want to get creative, I throw blueberries and chocolate chips in.