Thursday, February 21, 2013

Telling the Davenports

I mentioned yesterday that we decided to wait a while before telling family.  I talk to my family nearly every day on the phone, so I was wondering how I was going to keep it from them.  Little did I know I would be tested just TWO HOURS after finding out the big news for myself.

I found out on my dad's birthday after being in Jamesville that morning.  Well, a few hours into knowing I was pregnant, I get a phone call from Jill:
"Hey... I noticed you didn't drink coffee this morning.  Anything you want to tell me?"
Panic panic panic, scramble to come up with something.... "No, just didn't feel like coffee today."
"Ok, you would tell me, right?"
"Of course.  Hey, I gotta go..."
"Ok, bye."
"Bye" *muffled scream into pillow


My love of coffee almost made me spill the beans... yes, I went there :)


Things didn't get better two weeks later when we found out a close family member was having a baby. Actually, things did get better because I could get my "talking about babies and pregnancy" fix without having to talk about me specifically.  So maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

Finally it was time to tell my parents (February 2nd).  We knew we were going to travel the next weekend to Nebo to see Jason's folks, so I convinced my parents to meet us halfway in Rocky Mount for some Cracker Barrel.  Now, other people may have been suspicious of this, but we've actually done this a couple of times before to give them something from Raleigh or they give me something from Jamesville, so they seemed pretty oblivious.

celebrating my grad school graduation at Cracker Barrel in 2011

We got through breakfast chatting about their anniversary trip to Savannah.  As the waiter took away our plates, Mom pulled out her camera to start showing me pictures from the trip.  I said, "Before you do that, I've got something to show you" and pulled out a picture of the baby.

Mom knew immediately what it was.  She covered her mouth in excitement, but no sound came out.  A few moments later, she quietly said, "Oh, you made me come to a place where I can't scream!"  Daddy just sat there beaming.


Can you tell they're excited?

I called both Jill and Kara on the way home.  They were both high-pitched and indiscernible, so I'm guessing they were excited :).  Kara was at work (boo, tax season), so I made her get off the phone with me to go work.  "But I don't want to get back to work, I want to talk about baby stuff!"  I couldn't get up with Jill at first, so I left a vague voicemail and ended up calling back an hour later because I couldn't wait any longer.  We ended up talking a long time because she was home alone and excited.

So by the end of the day, all my immediate family knew.  Now, we could look ahead to telling Jason's family the following weekend...

No comments: