Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The World's Best Card

In all the hoopla, I forgot to share about Valentine's Day.  Jason and I are not big V-Day people.  We usually just stay at home, cook something a little fancier than normal, and call it a night.  This year, we didn't go all out, but I did want to celebrate.  Maybe it was because this is our last V-Day as a two-person household.

I had a doctor's appointment that afternoon, so I decided to pick up dinner on the way home.  Jason and I chose a place we've never been before, Relish.  The hardest part of the night was reading over the menu and deciding on just one thing (shrimp and grits?  sounds great.  gourmet mac and cheese with extra add-ins?  yum).  We ended up with fancy grilled cheese sandwiches -- Jason's came with apple slices and bacon, mine with pulled pork and slaw.  Jason's came with a side of homemade chips, mine with fried green tomatoes.  Tasty time!



We haven't bought V-Day gifts for each other since 2008, but both of us ended up getting each other stuff this year.  I, ever the romantic, got Jason some socks.  Laugh all you want, but he's really been wanting some new socks.  Jason, who continues to surprise me every day, bought me 6 (yes, 6!) sing-along cds by a famous rock musician who also makes kid cds under the name "Caspar Babypants."  He said if we were going to have to listen to kid music, at least it could be cool music.

Here's an example:


He apologized that it wasn't a traditional Valentine's Day gift, but I couldn't have been happier.  I love that he's thinking about how to do this parent thing "our way."

Anyway, I know this post is getting long, but I have to share his card.  There's a side of Jason not a lot of people get to see.  This card is being shared with permission from its author.

Front of the card: "This is a card."
 The inside:


The Store of Valentine's Day (from a bear's perspective)

A long, long time ago, during what the humans refer to as the "nineteen sixties" there were only 27 days in February.  There was no 14th day.  Then, there came along this guy named Valentine... Roy, I think.  He needed another day in February... maybe he had a bill due or something, I don't know.  So, he added the 14th day.  It was a hit.

Meanwhile, at Hallmark, the company was facing bankruptcy because they had produced a ton of heart-themed cards to commemorate the first human heart transplant (though, the hearts on their cards did not look anything like delicious human hearts).  However, heart transplants were not as common as they had expected, so nobody bought these cards.  Once the new day was announced, Hallmark execs seized the opportunity and dubbed the day "Valentine's Day" after our friend Roy.  They were then able to offload their stockpile of heart-themed merchandise, and the business was saved.  The Pope (a major Hallmark stockholder at the time) was so pleased with the outcome, that he made Roy a saint.

The End.

Bears are not good at stories.  Happy Valentine's Day.



Is that not the most fantastic thing you have ever read?  I couldn't have asked for a better card, or a better Valentine to celebrate with!