Friday, January 6, 2012

Holidays 2011 -- Christmas #1 -- And the Winner Is...

Jason and I discussed the other day with some of our friends how every year, one person always "wins" Christmas.  He or she buys the best, most thoughtful gift.  I'd say Jason wins every year, but I'm ok with that because it means that I'm receiving the best present.  Once again, Jason "won" our Christmas.

Jason is always so thoughtful.  He buys me things I longingly looked at months earlier.  He thinks of things I need  that I don't realize I need.  He also thinks of things that are totally unexpected.  This year's winning gift was -- clam chowder?!?



Let me explain.  Jason and I celebrated our first anniversary in Seattle.  My favorite thing we did was take a food tour around Pike Place Market, where our guide showed us the best the market had to offer.  One of the places we stopped was Pike Place Chowder.  This West Coast restaurant makes the best New England Chowder, and has countless blue ribbons to prove it.  It was like a creamy taste of heaven.  The spice blend is hard to identify, but is just right.  The clams melt in your mouth after one chew.  The potatoes are cooked perfectly, and the whole thing fills you with warm fuzzies.  Oh my, that's some good chowder!

Sitting outside of Pike Place Chowder, unaware of the deliciousness we were about to eat

While in Seattle, we tried to eat at Pike Place Chowder several times, only to find that it closed when it sold out of that day's batch of soup, which always seemed to be 30 minutes before we got there.  Since that trip, we have spoken in hushed tones about that bowl of creamy heaven.



Two and a half years later, I was taking a nap on the 23rd, only to wake up to the sound of the doorbell.  Another delivery?  I thought we were done receiving our online orders.  I opened my eyes, and saw something totally unexpected -- Pike Place Chowder!  I squealed with delight and jumped up off the couch to hug my thoughtful husband.



Yep, Jason definitely "won" this Christmas, but me and my belly are totally ok with that.


No comments: