Thursday, January 12, 2012

What a Difference a Year Makes!

Today's my birthday!  Woohoo!  I got to thinking today about how drastically different my past few birthdays have been.

25th Birthday (2009):
My birthday was on a Monday, so we invited some friends over the weekend before for cake, goodies and board games.


I look a bit scared of my cake, don't I?  Oh, and shout-out to Jason, who is an AWESOME cake baker and decorator!  I wish I had a close-up of my fantastic cake he made!

26th Birthday (2010):
Quite a bit had changed in those 365 days.  I had quit my job, decided to become a teacher, and applied to grad school.  Actually, my first day of grad school was ON my birthday!  I went to my freshman-level geology class, my botany class, had a break, and then went to my anatomy and physiology lab.  Oh my word, I've never panicked so much!  15 minutes into that lab, I knew I was dropping that class.  Yikes!  Not a fun way to spend my birthday!

Because we were shelling out tuition, I told Jason I didn't want to make a fuss about celebrating.  Jason, however, had other plans.  Because it was my 26th birthday, and because there's 26 letters in the alphabet, Jason went to the Dollar Tree and bought me gifts that start with every letter.

You can see all of the pictures here, but I thought I'd share a few.  He individually wrapped them because he knows how much I love the act of opening presents.  PS, want to talk about crazy present faces?  I've certainly got some going on...

Jason came downstairs with my birthday surprise -- a box full of presents!

H = Highlighters (I should remind you I was just starting school again, and I had asked Jason for "school supplies" for my birthday)


M = Milk Duds


N = Nail Polish

27th Birthday (2011):
This wasn't actually a birthday present, but Jason and I traveled to Hawaii on my birthday last year!  I was between semesters of school, so it was our only chance to go visit Sara and meet Sawyer in Hawaii.  The coolest part about traveling ALL DAY on my birthday is that Hawaii is 5 hours earlier than NC, so I had a 29-hour birthday!  How many people can say they've had that?

Sara made me a pineapple cake for my birthday (appropriate, no?)

At Waikiki Beach, in front of Diamond Head

In our Aloha attire, ready for the luau!

Having some aunt/nephew time


Sara and Sawyer


Yep, so those are my birthdays of the recent past.  What's up for me today?  Well, 1st period classes are having exams today.  I have first period planning, which means I have 3 HOURS of planning today!  A teacher's dream!  Jason and I are going out for sushi tonight (yum!) and maybe pick up some ice cream afterwards.

Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: