Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Meatballs, For the Win!

I'm just gonna come out and say it.  I love meatballs.  At a party, you can usually find me over by the meatballs, toothpick in hand, piling them onto my plate.  As awesome as IKEA is, I'd drive to Charlotte's store just for the Swedish meatballs they serve.

That said, I really don't make meatballs very often.  I'm not really sure why.  Well, I decided to make some Sunday night, and I was pretty impressed!

I followed Rachel Ray's recipe that I found online (because I didn't know what all to put in them).  Here's her recipe with my comments in parentheses.

Meatballs:
1 1/4 pounds ground sirloin (I actually had this, but I'm sure other burger is fine)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (or parm-like cheese)
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I actually buy jars of already-chopped garlic.  It keeps a lot longer).
Salt and pepper
(I wish I had added some extra oregano or Italian seasoning)

I beat the egg in the bowl, added the other wet stuff, then the meat and the crumbs.  Mix with your hands and roll out into 1 1/2 inch balls onto a greased sheet pan.  Bake at 425F about 10-12 minutes until no longer pink.

Easy as that!

Sunday Night:
Traditional angel hair and meatballs (oops, we didn't have spaghetti!).  We topped with lots of grated Parmesan.

Monday Night:
Meatball subs.  We cut open the sub rolls and pulled out some of the extra bread so the balls wouldn't roll around.  Topped with sauce from Sunday night and sliced provolone and broiled open-face for a couple of minutes to get everything toasty.


Tuesday Night: 
Not sure yet.  Suggestions?  I have leftover "naked" pasta, plenty of jars of sauce, and about three meatballs.  What should tonight's adventure be?

No comments: