Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Beach Trip -- Wednesday

Wednesday:
Wednesday morning was cloudy and dreary.  We all got up early and headed to the beach, not to really "go" to the beach (we knew the rain was going to start up soon), just to introduce Tyler to it.

One word: love.

Sand?  Sand was this awesome stuff that he could push out of his way while walking through it, hard enough to sit on, small enough to pick up in his hand, tasty enough to put in his mouth... NO!

"We don't eat sand, Tyler!"

How many times did I say that this trip?  He also liked finding little shells and either trying to eat them (*sigh* at least we had been warned by a fellow mom about this) or handing them to Jason or me, almost in a "can you give me eating approval on this?" kind of way.




Water?  He walked along the very edge of the water (with me holding his hands, he's not a free-walker yet), and seemed to like the water rushing over his feet.  We sat him at the very edge of the water, and he seemed to like that, too.

We were only out for about an hour, but it seemed like a good adventure.  I brought my camera, but since I was on don't-eat-that-SAND duty, I put my camera away and let Jason capture the moments.  I'll share those pictures as soon as he's finished editing.

Quick sidenote: I've never been much of a beach-coverup person.  I've always just worn tshirts and shorts.  I'm so glad I splurged on some coverups this year, since I don't know how keen I would have been to have a lot of pictures with me in a bathing suit posted online for all the world to see.  Ok, sidenote over.

We went back upstairs for showers (we got Tyler this inflatable tub for the trip, and as if bath time wasn't fun enough, bath time with "duh!" (duck) just put him over the edge).  So, it's a dreary, cloudy day at the beach.  What shall we do?  Oh yeah, go to the Fort Fisher aquarium.  Great idea!  Too bad half of North America had the same idea.

Seriously, folks.  We got there around 10 or 11 and had to park in the overflow parking... and wait 15 minutes in line for tickets.  Tyler loves the fish tanks at school and church, so we had some high hopes for the aquarium.  Though I believe he had a good time, he didn't has as good of a time as we had expected.  Sometimes I forget how little he is.  He looked at several tanks of fish, but other times, he was more interested in his reflection in the glass (dude, you and your reflection need to get a room!) or with Daddy's camera strap or Mama's backpack straps.  The aquarium was really really dark, so my camera (even with adjusted settings) wasn't really able to capture any of the moments.  Jason's camera did a much better job.  Here's the few shots I was able to manage.








The rest of the afternoon was pretty unremarkable.  We went to lunch and then back to the room.  By the time of the housekeeping issue (mentioned in the post about Tuesday), it was rainy, Tyler was cranky (but refused to nap), and we were out of ideas.  So we hopped in the car and drove around until Tyler slept.  A typical parent maneuver, just not one we've even acted upon.

Wednesday evening, the rain had stopped again, so we took Tyler out to the beach for real this time.  My beach-loving kid from that morning did not do quite as well once we actually got in the water.  Waves?  Unpredictable and scary.  The water he had loved earlier?  Icky, salty, and splashy in his face.  He didn't cry, but he did. not. want. to. be. in. the. water.  The only remedy was some sand therapy.

That was pretty much it for Wednesday.  Not the best day, but it's ok, there was sunshine on the horizon (or at least, there would be Thursday morning).


No comments: