Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Beach Trip -- Thursday

Don't worry, this is the last post about Wrightsville, since we didn't do anything (just packed up and checked out) on Friday.

Thursday:
Sunshine, woohoo!  This was a busy day, so this is going to be a loooooong post.

We went out again early in the morning to the beach.  We did buy a tent so that we could be out during more decent beach hours, but this actually worked pretty well for us.  Easing us into being "those people" that bring six armloads of stuff out onto the beach.  Plus, we didn't know how keen Tyler was going to be to the beach, so why bring all that stuff and have him become "over it" in 15 minutes?

Tyler's memory may not be great, but he remembered the sand.  Yay!  And the ocean.  Oh no.  We tried getting him to sit or walk along the edge, but the memory of Wednesday's waves was too much for him.
"Ok, I'll tolerate this"

"Wait, what's that?!?"


"Not the waves, Daddy.  I don't like the waves!"

"I'm gettin' outta here"


"Phew!  Safe with Daddy."

"Hmm, I still don't like that we're so near the water"

Yep, not too happy.  I gave up on photos and walked back up on the sand to put up my camera and get in the water with them.  Thankfully, I turned around just in time to capture these precious moments.




*heart melts*

After this, we sat on a beach blanket and let Tyler play with some of his toys.  He's getting really good with putting stuff in a container.  You can even point to a toy, ask him to put it in the bucket, and he'll do it (well, most of the time).



After the beach, we went to a restaurant called Causeway Cafe that my neighbor Jodi recommended.  It's a tiny little restaurant that apparently everyone knows about!  We had to wait a while for a seat, but they have a nice covered porch and free coffee for people waiting.  My kind of place!  The food was yummy, plentiful, and cheap!  For $5.29 (I just went back and checked the online menu), I got two eggs, sausage, hashbrowns (which turned out to be made out of baked potatoes), and biscuits.  Take that, Cracker Barrel!  I maaaaaay have also ordered some fried green tomatoes.  Not because I wanted more food, but because I never pass up a chance to eat fried green tomatoes.  They did not disappoint.

After brunch, we went to the arboretum Jason and I visited last year.  It was pretty warm, so Tyler and I stuck to shady spots while Jason took photos.  I did manage to take a few shots.

There were chicks inside that had just hatched.

Do you think Tyler liked them?



We went back to the room to relax, and then Tyler and I went to the indoor pool while Jason took a nap (he was still recovering from what the doctors guessed was walking pneumonia).  Tyler was a fan of the pool!  He was a bit apprehensive at first, but once he figured out that we were going to stay along the walls and that this water didn't have waves, he calmed down and began to enjoy himself.  It helped that his toy duck was there with him.  

Jason came down a bit later and took some photos.  He also blew up Tyler's float, and Tyler seemed pretty relaxed floating around in the water.  Score!

Thursday evening, we went to the Bento Box for some sushi.  We don't usually take Tyler to fancy restaurants (a little boy "ay yee yay"-ing and smacking on the table with glee doesn't particularly add to the ambiance), so we went early and sat outside.  Tyler had a great time, giggling while watching Jason eat edamame, and even eating some of the beans himself!

We got back in time to walk along the beach at sunset.  Tyler was a wriggly worm, so he spent a lot of the walk sitting on the sand, playing with it, or walking along while I held his hands.  On the way back, our exhausted little guy fell asleep on Jason's shoulder.  

I can understand, since Thursday was such a busy day!



No comments: