Monday, March 2, 2015

18 Days of Celebrating 18 Months -- Food

Tyler has always been a great eater -- from birth, really!  Much to my dismay, he was constantly hungry when I was nursing.  I was eager for him to switch over to solid food, and so was he!  Our first attempt at solid food (that cereal/oatmeal mush stuff) was a huge success.


Most new foods are met with a moment of hesitation, then are quickly devoured!  Here, an iPhone pic of him eating shrimp and grits and fried okra


Finger-eating good!

He likes to know what he's eating, so I point out the different foods when I give them to him.  He's learned in the past few months that he's more likely to get what he wants if he says "more crackers" rather than vaguely saying "more."  Smart boy.

A few weeks ago, Jason asked Tyler what he had eaten for lunch at school.  Tyler emphatically said "Pizza!"  Jason told me about this, and I checked the menu.  He had not had pizza.  Jason asked him the next day, and Tyler replied "pizza!"  I think he's trying to tell us something.  Yesterday when I was writing this, Jason and Tyler were in the living room yelling "pizza!" back and forth to each other.  Apparently it's hilarious.

Not pizza, but he sure did enjoy spaghetti:



I just bought him his first forks.  He's actually done pretty well with them, only trying to stab himself in the head once so far.  He's also WAY into dipping.  His favorite is ketchup, though he also likes mustard, bbq sauce, garlic butter, and hummus.  If he gets to dip, he's happy.

trying out the fork (that's scrambled eggs and grape jelly "dip" for a biscuit, in case you were wondering)

already a pro

...though sometimes the fork takes too much effort



We're pretty hardcore snackers around here.  A long time ago, I implemented the snack blanket, a blanket solely devoted to snack time (and keeping some of the crumbs from getting ground into our rug).  It works pretty well, especially when combined with Dora or Paw Patrol.  This picture was from back in December.

Yes, I occasionally snack with him

The other day, Tyler was walking around chewing on his hand.  I asked him if he was hungry.  He yelled "snack!" and ran for his snack blanket.  It's so great to have a kid that is learning to communicate!


mesmerized while watching tv




No comments: