Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hmm, Bit Neurotic?

When I took biological psychology in college, I wrote a term paper about OCD, or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  The reason I chose this topic was because I had some OCD tendencies and wanted to further investigate.  Note: I am NOT saying I have OCD or making light of people who do.  I'm just saying that I had some neuroses that made me curious about OCD.

Here are a few of those things that make me quirky.  Like them or not, they're a part of me.

~Clean hands.  I'm not a clean freak.  I do like my house and car to be neat, but clean, not so much.  That said, my hands always have to be clean.  I always keep hand sanitizer with me.  I love petting dogs, but will only do so if I am near a sink where I can wash my hands immediately afterwards.  In fact, my parents' dog, Charley, knows when I'm done petting him because I get up and wash my hands.  He'll follow me into the bathroom ("Hey, where are the petting hands going?"), but turns around and leaves when he sees me washing my hands.

Washing hands = no more playing with Charley

~Organizing.  Everything does has its place, and there is a place for everything.  When Jason and I worked together, we (and other coworkers) would occasionally go out for lunch.  One of the first places we ate together was Arby's.  I never knew it was odd to categorize your curly fries (tight spirals, long spirals, short spirals, and spiral fragments) and then eat them from least curly to most curly until I got strange looks from my fellow diners.

You see fries.  I see spiral fragments (closest to the box) and tight spirals (bottom of the picture)

~List-Making.  I've mentioned this one before, and I think everyone makes lists to some extent.  Sure, most people make grocery lists or packing lists when going on trips.  I just take it to the next level.  During college exams, I would create a study schedule for the week -- in hourly blocks.  Yep, every workout, meal, nap, and specific class to study was blocked out on a monster list.  My fellow classmates revered it as a work of art.  When I go on weeklong trips, I make a list to figure out what to pack.  Big deal, right?  Well, my list starts with every bottom I own followed by every shirt I own (or at least, every shirt I would consider wearing).  Then, I go through all the shirts and figure out which ones would go with which bottom, starting with the harder-to-match bottoms like colored skirts or plaid shorts.  Then I slowly narrow things down, making sure I have a wide variety of colors.  Then, while everything is laid out, I go ahead and choose jewelry, shoes, and hair accessories for each outfit.  All of this is done up to a week before I leave for the trip and is usually done on laundry day so all my clothes are available to me.

My packing list (and Jason's reaction if I ever let him see the behemoth!)

Scared yet?  Probably not, since many of your are just as messed up as I am.  :)  So, what neurotic things do you do?

2 comments:

Amanda English said...

I'm definitely a clean hands freak, but it's more towards people (especially kids). I'm okay with pets, I guess b/c I own them and can't wash my hands 1700 times a day.

I'm for SURE a list maker! Maybe not to the extent of clothes, mine are more to do list. Work, Home, Big Projects for the year, etc.

John/Kristen said...

I remember those exam week schedules...they were indeed works of art. I think you even inspired me to make my own, although mine weren't QUITE as extensive as yours :)