Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nothing's Faster than THIS Speeding Bullet

I have a startling announcement (more startling than that I'm a curly-fry-sorter).  I went running yesterday.  *waits for your jaws to lift off of the floor*  Yep, after an estranged relationship, my running shoes and I have reunited and seem to have patched things up.  Though I am a lazy person at heart and can spend whole days doing nothing, I really do love running, and I'm hoping to make this a habit.

Reasons I Love Running:
~Equipment = Shoes.  I love that running really only requires you to have shoes.  I love volleyball almost as much as running, but it requires a net, ball, and at least one other person to play -- things not readily accessible to me.  But to go running, all I have to do is slip on my shoes, double-tie my laces (learned that the hard way one time!), and let the rubber hit the road!

A runner's best friends are good running shoes.  Jason bought me these as a birthday gift in 2009 because I was still shamefully wearing beat-up shoes from high school.

~The World is Your Oyster.  For the most part, you can run anywhere.  Maybe not through a construction site or your neighbor's front yard, but most roads, sidewalks, and trails.  That said, this is partially why I haven't been running regularly.  I ran a lot last summer, and my surroundings got pretty monotonous.  I try to stay in my neighborhood, since I don't feel comfortable running at Umstead (state park, for those unfamiliar).  I'm not worried about being abducted, more like twisting my ankle and not being somewhere people could readily see me/help me.

~Solitude.  I never have liked having a "running buddy."  Inevitably, one person's pace is faster than the other's pace, so one either ends up not being as challenged or panting and struggling to keep up.  So I love running alone (Mom, don't call and fuss at me... again, I'm running in the daytime just around my neighborhood!).  Just me and my iPod, cranking out fast-paced keep-me-motivated tunes.

The Black Eyed Peas and I get it started, ha, get it started in here!!!


~Challenge.  Most people think running is monotonous and boring.  Well, not if you constantly challenge yourself.  If you do the same course everyday, push yourself to go farther each time.  Sprint up that hill rather than jogging it.  When your body feels like it's hit that wall, tell yourself "Make it to that stop sign" or "Make it to that green mailbox."  You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

~History.  I was never great at sports, though I played quite a few of them.  In junior high, I played volleyball and basketball, and I was a cheerleader.  In high school, I continued playing volleyball and basketball (9th and 10th grade for both), though by "play" I mean "sit the bench most games."  On a whim (and because I KNEW I was horrible at softball, the only other spring sport offered), I tried out for the track team.  It was like love at first run, and I was actually pretty good at it!  I ran track all four years of high school and added cross country my junior and senior years.  Now, every time I run, part of me feels like I'm back in high school, running as fast as I can to beat my competitors and better my personal best times.  So, to reminisce about the good old days, here's some pictures of me during my days of track/cross country.


Here I am finishing a race at Williamston HS.  My school didn't have a track so Williamston's track (about 10 minutes away) was our home away from home.  No, I'm not the prettiest runner, but I was not too shabby.  I ran the mile (1600m, 4 times around the track), two mile (3200m, 8 times around the track), and the 4x800m relay (4 people relay, each person running two laps around the track).  I also dabbled in high jump (which was a disaster) and the 800m (which I liked, but it was too close to my main event, the two-mile).  I went to regionals each year for at least one of the three events, and I went to State Championships in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades.  I actually had mono at regionals my freshman year (I didn't start showing symptoms until later that week), so I didn't make it to States that year.  I did finish my race though, holding my aching, swollen spleen (though we didn't know that's what it was!) the whole time.

Oh, and yes, I did wear my hair on those silly buns on purpose.  My hair is so fine that it falls out of a ponytail when I'm running, so I needed something to hold onto it better.  This was my look most races, though if Kara was home from college she would double French braid my hair instead.


In a baseball/softball town, track people were misfits.  I'm so glad I ran, though, because most of the high school people I still keep in touch with today (like Jessica, Adrienne, and Kyle) were on the track team with me.  Pictured (l-r) is Jessica, Adrienne, and me, relaxing in some shade between races.  I also had at least one parent at most track meets.  My folks didn't really go to many sporting events, but when Kara and I both ran track (her senior year, my freshman year), my parents became "track parents."  They would bring my old red comforters (nicknamed the "magic carpets") and the track team would pile down on them between events.  That's what the three of us are on in the picture.


Anyone who thinks races are boring has never been to one.  This isn't the most flattering picture of me, but I love the action of it.  This is during the 4x800m relay I mentioned earlier.  Evie (red hair) just handed the baton to Stacie (dark hair) for her leg of the race.  I was the anchor (the fourth leg), so I was cheering them on, waiting to have my chance to run.  On the left side of the picture is Mr. Bailey (or "Bailey" as he was usually called), my volleyball/ track/ cross country coach, science teacher, drama teacher, and teaching inspiration.  Yep, he's a pretty cool guy!

Oh, and I should probably explain the title of today's post.  Our school mascot was the bullet (yes, you read correctly), so this was always a saying I wanted on team shirts.  Unfortunately, the track team had no money, so that never happened.  Oh well, blog title is almost as good...

No comments: