Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Being Honest

I learned a long time ago that public internet is not a place to air my dirty laundry.  However, by always being upbeat online, I don't get to be fully honest with what's going on in my life.  I learned a really valuable lesson last week, one too valuable to not share with those I care about the most, so that's what I'm going to do now.

I mentioned before that the first week of homeownership was about 95% fixing up old house and 5% living in new house.  Last week was the second week of homeownership, and it was a rough one.  We've been living in limbo.  Afternoons were spent at the old house, and nothing seemed to go right.   Then we'd come home, and nothing would go right here either.


To keep this from being the world's longest post, I'll sum up some of the events of last week.  

~Tried to replace faucets at the old house, which turned into a three-day struggle where at one point, Jason considered taking a hacksaw to the pipes
~Every task at the old house took about three hours longer than expected, largely because something we needed was at the new house instead of with us
~Tried reprogramming the programable thermostat, which then reverted back to its default settings (85 degrees during the day) for some reason
~Bought a tv console that weighed 160lbs (really fun carrying into the house...) and was premade, but none of the screw holes were where they were supposed to be, so Jason had to drill new ones
~Dishwasher wouldn't clean dishes, even though I put detergent in the right place and it sounded like it was washing
~Sewer gases leaked from our half bathroom, which resulted in lots of online research, emails to the former owners, calls to the septic tank people, and me squirting water into a secondary drain of the toilet with a turkey baster (which reminds me... I need to buy another turkey baster...)
~We discovered that we have a flying ant problem... and a roach problem

Everything kind of hit rock bottom on Thursday.  We had been spending so much time at the old house, but there were pretty serious problems (like the sewer gases and the bugs) that really needed addressing at the new house.  At one point, Jason looked at me and said "Why can't just one thing be easy?"  We were at the the end of our ropes, and that's where the lesson was learned.

We were trying to do this by ourselves, and all our efforts weren't enough.  So we cried out to God.  Jason said he was so overwhelmed with house stuff at work one day that he just stopped what he was doing and prayed.  At home, I was doing the same thing.  As Christians, we are not promised a life of ease -- quite the opposite, actually.  It's through the hard times in life that we cling to Christ.  Once we realized the God was in control and that He would see us through all of this, our attitudes improved, and so did our work!  If you're struggling right now, I hope that these verses will be an encouragement to you as they have been to us this past week.

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."  -- James 1:2-4


"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." -- 2 Corinthians 12:9 (one of Jason's favorite verses)


"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  --Matthew 11:28


"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  -- Philippians 4:6-7 (some of my favorite verses)


I leave you with a great quote from Mother Teresa that really sums it up:

        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."



1 comment:

Jenelle Leanne said...

Aw :( I'm sorry that home-ownership has been so rough these first two weeks. (and EW EW EW to the roach thing... girl, you know I hate the creepy jerks... and we get a few every summer, too blech, I empathize greatly with you!!!)

I sometimes feel like owning a house is just one ginormous project... if you're not remodeling a bathroom, you're bringing a deck up to code, or fighting crabgrass, or fixing a leaky roof, or your oven decides that it is done heating stuff, or your hot water heater cracks, or ... not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. Derek and I are always like, "Ok... if nothing breaks on the house this summer, we might actually have some money in savings this year..." lol

I'm not trying to be discouraging AT ALL... just letting you know you're not alone. And if you ever need help with anything, we're just a phone call away!