Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fish Cakes

Experts say you're supposed to incorporate more fish into your diet.  Well, that's fine and good, but I have a hard time making fish tasty.  I occasionally do fish tacos... or just season it with S&P and citrus.  I don't know, they're both kinda lame.

A little while ago, I took a risk and made fish cakes.  Know what?  They're pretty tasty!  Here's the recipe I followed.  My comments are in parentheses.

4 tilapia fillets (I use frozen, since most "fresh" fish was shipped frozen)
1/2 cup mayo
2 eggs
2 Tbs fresh dill (I used 1 Tbs dried dill instead)
1 Tbs dijon mustard
3/4 c panko breadcrumbs

Cook the fish at 400 degrees until done (8-12min depending on the fillet size)
Let the fish cool, and flake with a fork
Mix the mayo, eggs, dill, and dijon together
Fold in the fish and panko
Make cakes and refrigerate 20-30 min
Coat a frying pan with oil and fry the cakes for 3-5 min/side

Note: this recipe made six really large cakes.  Jason and I ate 2 each.  I think I'll make a smaller recipe next time.

Yum!  This is a bit time-consuming since you have to cook the fish and let it cool.  Next time I make it, we're going to have regular fish fillets on Night 1 and then I'll make the cakes, let them cool overnight, and it will be a really quick meal on Night 2.

Let me know if you give a try!

No comments: