Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Bern -- Bear City

New Bern is known as Bear City.  They take this name seriously!  Everywhere I looked, "bear" things popped up.  It was like a fun game of I-Spy all day.











One thing that REALLY made me excited were the bear statues sprinkled around town.  I took photos of every one that I found, only to be bummed out Saturday night when I saw a poster of the 20some bears I DIDN'T see.  Oh well, I guess we'll have to take another trip to get those.

"Bear-ly Legal Bear"






Bear outside of City Hall -- American, NC, and New Bern flags



Judge Bear


"Bear-er of Rights"

Including of course, the right to "bear" arms


"Black Bear-d"





My favorite one, "Bearon de Graffenried," named after Baron de Graffenried, founder of New Bern.
"Bearon de Graffenried"




"Kare Bear"

"Harvest Bear" (with a bit of added pizzaz) in front of the Farmer's Market



"Bear E. Essential"




"Freedom Bearer"

"Barrister Bear"

I mean, c'mon, how can you not love these details?

Little paw-print buttons!


"Colonial Bearman"



1 comment:

Jenn & David said...

Raleigh tried to do this once with the wolves but it definitely didn't take off like it did in NB. It is a beautiful little place there. So glad you had fun!