Monday, February 20, 2012

New Bern -- Wonderful Weekend

Last weekend, Jason and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to New Bern, NC.  By "spur-of-the-moment" I mean we had been planning it for two weeks.  We didn't have anything in mind.  We just wanted to take advantage of the nice weather and have a new place to photograph.

We got started early Saturday morning, stopping on the side of the road to capture the sunrise.



It was an absolutely PERFECT day!  When we got to New Bern (about 9:30), I was wearing a jacket as we walked around downtown.  An hour later, we were swinging back by the car to drop that jacket off.  60-some degrees, sunny, breezy... perfect!  I even got a bit of sun on my nose, cheeks, and shoulders.

The waterfront was beautiful!


Even though I grew up less than two hours from New Bern, I only knew two things about it before this trip.  I knew Tryon Palace was there (I took a field trip there in 3rd grade), and I knew that on family vacations, New Bern was where we got off of Hwy 17 onto Hwy 70.  What signaled that?  The "ice cream building," a Sudan temple that became a landmark I recognized even as a little kid.


We also visited Tryon Palace, but more on that in a future post.

Jason and I spent several hours walking around taking photos (more posts to come) and stopped by the Baker's Kitchen for some yummy lunch.  I had a roast beef sandwich and sweet potato fries.  Jason had french toast.


Pretty great view from the hotel window.  It was fun to watch people feeding the seagulls and flying kites.



A few more hours of walking, and we had worked up quite a thirst.  Good thing New Bern is the birthplace of Pepsi Cola!  We stopped by the pharmacy where it was first created for some refreshment.



More hours of walking, more photos... and we were spent!  We had an early dinner at Morgan's Tavern and Grill.  Jason got a fried seafood platter (flounder, shrimp, and scallops).  I got crab cakes.  All the excitement was too much for us!  We turned in for the night at 6:30.  Yep, 6:30.  We had been walking around nonstop nine hours, so give us a break!


We had a super-great Saturday "doing" New Bern.  Good thing we saw everything we wanted to on Saturday, because this was the same hotel view, one day later.



Goodbye, New Bern.  Thanks for a fun weekend trip!

3 comments:

Amanda English said...

Those are some really fun pictures! Not the same as the Maldives though. ;) xoxo A-

Jenelle Leanne said...

Fun stuff! I wondered where you guys were yesterday! :) Glad you were having fun, and not sick or anything. Did you get today off for Prez. Day?

Unknown said...

I meant to mention it to you last week that we wouldn't be there. As for today, we have a teacher workday, which is almost as good as a day off. Almost...