Monday, February 13, 2012

That's What Friends Are For

I loved working as a chemist.  I got to do wet chemistry (which is the fancy term for pipetting, measuring in graduated cylinders, making solutions, etc.) and analyze data, both of which really appealed to me.  When I left my old job in 2009, it wasn't because I hated the lab work.  There were other reasons, and I was happy to see that place in my rearview mirror on my last day.  That said, I left behind several dear friends, including my office-mate and two-person-department-mate Kristen.

We were even engaged at the same time, so we had a joint wedding shower with one other coworker!

Since then, KHB (everyone goes by their initials) and I have kept in touch, trying to cram what used to be constant chit-chat 10 hours a day into monthly girl dates at Caribou and Michael's (our two usual destinations).

On Friday, I had a rough morning.  No, teaching is not life-affirming and smile-producing 100% of the time.  Who had experience with me being upset at work?  Oh yeah, someone who saw me upset COUNTLESS times!  I emailed Kristen and asked her to cheer me up.  Like a true friend, she sent me back an email that did...

I'm sorry you're having a tough day sweetie.


Things that might cheer you up:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4
2. It's Friday and you have a whole obnoxious-teenager-free weekend in just a few hours.
3. **** [a former coworker of mine] is not in your class.
4. Being upset in your stockroom beats being upset in a bathroom stall on a toilet seat covered in other people's bare-butt germs.
5. ***** [another former coworker] is not in your class.
6. You could be in a trailer in the middle of Kentucky in front of multiple stack testers. [Megan's note: that one makes sense to me even if it doesn't to you]
7. Amelia is going on maternity leave this summer, so **** [my former job] may be looking for a fill-in IC analyst :-)


Let me know if you need more.


Special thanks to BLE (see, told you everyone goes by initials) who helped KHB come up with this list. It really did make me smile, and the rest of my day really was better.


How have you encouraged a friend recently, or how have you been encouraged by a friend?




No comments: