Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paninis

A little while back, Jason and I ate dinner at our friend Rebecca's house.  She served us paninis, and I really liked them!  Sure, paninis are basically squished grilled sandwiches, but it was really tasty and I thought I'd give it a try.

Like I said, it's a sandwich, so you could put most anything on there.  These were my ingredients:

~Flatbreads (found them in the bakery section of my grocery store)
~Olive oil (brushed the inside and outside of the bread)
~Ham sandwich meat
~Sliced provolone
~Tomatoes, sliced and seasoned with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to coax a bit of flavor out of them
~"Spring Mix" bag-o-salad


Confession: I do not have a panini maker.  So I put the panini in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and squished it with the bottom of another frying pan (lined with foil so I wouldn't have to wash it).  Here's a picture of Jason's (I just had a half-sandwich).




Mmm.... and it took about 10 minutes to make from start to finish, even with a brief (half a second, tops) grease fire.  Note: flip the panini with a spatula.  Don't try to do the "flip onto a plate" thing when you have oil in the pan!  Oops!



Bought the ingredients, tried the panini, and not sure what to do with leftovers?  


I made pseudo-gyros with the flat bread, sandwich meat (didn't have chicken or beef kabobs, but I that would have been preferable), lettuce, and cheese.  I eat Greek yogurt on a pretty regular basis, so I took one single-serving container of plain Greek yogurt and mixed it with diced and salted cucumbers and tomatoes and topped the gyro.  I was able to use that yogurt for two servings.  It was ... interesting.  I think it's something I would repeat again, maybe with a few tweaks.

No comments: