Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Indescribable

I'd like to take a short detour from my Christmas-related posts to talk a bit about space.  As in, outer space.  We started our astronomy unit yesterday, and it's so hard to fathom just how large our universe really is.  Here are a few facts I'd like to share:

If the Sun was 1m in diameter (that's roughly 3 feet for your English-system folks), the Earth would only be 1cm in diameter (about the width of your pinky).  Here's a to-scale picture of the Sun compared to the other planets.



You can barely even see Earth in this picture!

That doesn't even begin to explain the size of our universe.  The Sun is one relatively-small star in the outskirts of a galaxy with hundreds of thousands of stars.  This galaxy is just one of countless ones out there.  Even once you try to wrap your brain around the size of creation, that still doesn't help you understand its wonder and its beauty.  Here are a few photos from Hubble Telescope.













Some people have asked me how I balance being a scientist (well, science teacher at least) and a Christian.  To me, the more I learn about science, and the more I see pictures like these, the more I believe in a Creator -- the Indescribable One who created these indescribable things.

4 comments:

Amanda English said...

LIKE!

Jenelle Leanne said...

"The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is turned into helium at temperatures of millions of degrees."

Thank you. That song is now stuck in my head. I blame YOU.

Unknown said...

Amanda, glad you liked it. Jenelle, sorry I ticked you off. :)

Jenelle Leanne said...

LOL

You didn't. I was just being silly.