Friday, December 2, 2011

Peppermint Bark

Many years ago, my biological psychology professor (Dr. Kalat = awesome) passed around a metal tin of candy during our fall exam.  He called it "peppermint bark."  Oh my... it. was. so. good!!!!  Years later, Jason and I bought some peppermint bark at Target.  Delicious, but $8?  For real?




Then, last year, my best bud Paula Deen made peppermint bark on her show.


Ingredients

  • Crushed candy canes, to yield 1 cup
  • 2 pounds white chocolate
  • Peppermint flavorings, optional

Directions

Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Combine candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.) Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle.)

Could it really be this simple?  If so, it was worth a shot.

I made a few modifications.  One, Target's peppermint bark had a layer of dark chocolate below the white chocolate.  So I melt dark (or semisweet) chocolate, cool that in the fridge, then melt the white chocolate and pour that on top of the cooled chocolate.  Two, I don't mess with double boilers when the microwave works just as well (if not better).  The result?  One happy Megan, and LOTS of happy family members.  Yep, I may have created a new tradition.


Happy eating, and Merry Christmas! 

No comments: