Friday, March 30, 2012

Have You Ever Heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.

Yesterday was the last day before Spring Break.  We took our midterm the day before, so Thursday was movie day.  I brought in three movies (National Treasure, School of Rock, and Princess Bride) for students to choose from.

My fourth period said "What's Princess Bride?"  After I told them a brief plot summary (and after a few peers promised them it was awesome), they chose to watch it.

Princess Bride (1987)




First, a little back story.  Princess Bride is my all-time favorite movie.  I first saw this movie when I was maybe five or six years old, and it's only gotten better since (now that I can understand more of the witty dialogue).  This is collectively my family's favorite movie, and quotes from it are integrated into many of our conversations.  The most significant case of this was when my uncle Jim was getting married and the preacher started the ceremony by saying "Love!" to which my aunt mouthed to my mom (her sister) "Twoo wuv."  Yep, most important day of their brother's life, and they're sitting on the pew shaking in silent laughter.


Ok, back to yesterday.  I was so young the first time I saw the movie that I didn't understand a lot of it.  Yesterday, though, I really enjoyed watching my students experience it for the first time.  At one point (during the scene where the Man in Black is wrestling Fezzik), one student gasped "He's the guy she fell in love with, isn't he!?!"  I just smiled and shrugged and let the story unfold.  I watched them chuckle when Buttercup threw herself down the hill after shoving Wesley.  I listened to them groan in disappointment when the bell rang, signifying Spring Break, because they didn't want to stop watching.  I watched them fall in love with the movie I've loved most of my life.

Teachers hope to make differences in their students lives.  True, I never set out to expose a new generation to my favorite movie, but hey, I'll take any life-changing I can get.

3 comments:

Jenn & David said...

this is awesome! Makes me want to go back and watch the Princess Bride all over again!

Amanda English said...

"Twoo wuv.", hahahaha! That's so neat that you were able to bring in movies like that. Are you limited to PG only? So fun!!!

Unknown said...

PG-13 since I teach high schoolers, but I DEFINITELY have to use my discretion! Any content that is going to cause mayhem isn't worth it.