Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Birthday Earthquake!

It's 5:30, and I'm wolfing down a quick dinner at my desk, waiting for parents to arrive for Open House.  I figured now would be a good time for a quick update.

First of all, Happy Birthday to this guy!


Once I get a moment to breathe (and have a chance to get photos off of my camera), I'll do a longer post on his birthday celebrations.

Jason got one of the coolest birthday gifts today, an earthquake!  I don't know how many of you felt it, but it was surreal.  It was small enough that I wasn't scared or alarmed, just really fascinated.  I have to say, it was freakishly cool!!!!!

Here's a bit of info on the quake.  It was magnitude 5.9 in Virginia, and it was fairly shallow (<4mi) which is why it was felt so far away.

Jason sent me a picture of the Earthquake Devastation in DC:


I cracked up laughing right at my desk!  Thank goodness no one else was around.

Well that's all for now.  The PowerPoint is up, the room is spiffy, the contact sheets are distributed.  Best part of today's Open House/earthquake -- having no problem explaining to parents how Earth Science is relevant to their students' everyday lives!

No comments: