Friday, August 12, 2011

The Great Outdoors

I've mentioned before that Jason and I like to photograph nature, especially the smaller, more unnoticed things found in nature.  The more we photograph, the more attuned we have become to looking for those plants and creatures that so many others passed by without a second glance.  Sure, we often look silly doing this, staring three inches from a tree looking for insects on the bark or hovering over a bush trying to sneak up on a butterfly before it flies away, but the pictures always make it worth it.

Last night, we took advantage of the cooler temperatures (and of Jason's dart night being canceled) and did a mid-week photography trip the arboretum.  We go often, but we always find neat stuff to take pictures of.  Last night, I was struck by how intricate nature is.  Leaves of all different shapes and colors, flowers with five petals and twenty-some petals, spiders, and bees.  Here are a few surprises from last night.

I was taking a picture of this tiny spider and didn't even see the tinier guy right beside the berry-looking things until I was editing this morning.  How many more things were there that I didn't see?


This is a bit philosophical, but we always pay so much attention to the fronts of flowers that I was really surprised by how beautiful the back of this flower was.


For years, I had never seen this type of spider, but now we see them everywhere!  Just as I got excited about seeing this one, I looked around and realized there were four more on this same plant!


I love the pop of color of that lone green leaf among all the purple leaves.  Hold strong, little greeny, you make the plant so much more interesting.

I saw the 7-day forecast today, and this week's weather is going to be gorgeous!  Even if you don't take pictures, get outside this week and really look at the nature all around you.  You'll be surprised at all you see!

1 comment:

Amanda English said...

I think the flower is a dahlia... =) My little science teacher. That could be your next photography interest... Science / Pictures for your class. =)