Friday, August 19, 2011

Quick Dinner? "Focaccia" Covered!

I'm not a big couponer.  I do look through and clip coupons for products I was already planning to buy.  I also check out my grocery store's sales paper to see if it's a good week to stock up on meat or splurge on fun sale stuff (like this week's nectarines, something I wouldn't normally buy).  This week, I saw that the bakery was doing BOGO (Buy One, Get One Free... not sure why they don't call it BOGOF instead) on focaccia bread.  I thought I'd take a chance on it, and I'm so glad I did.

Today's five-minute dinner is brought to you by focaccia:

Step 1: Buy focaccia bread.  This one is a fresh tomato variety.  I also bought a roasted pepper one.



Step 2: Load with toppings.  We had leftover Italian sausage that I browned while Jason grated some mozzarella cheese.  Any topping that makes sense (or that you have around the house) would go here. 



Honestly, step 2 isn't even necessary.  As is, the bread is mighty tasty.  It could be made into a sandwich by slicing horizontally and filling with yummy things.  It could be left as-is and served with soup or salad.  It could be dipped in olive oil and spices (pepper, rosemary, etc.) for a guilty-pleasure kind of appetizer or meal.  But I did do Step 2, and boy howdy, it was delicious!

Step 3: Broil until cheese melts.  We're talking maybe three minutes tops.  But keep an eye on it!  My bread got a wee bit toasty while I was making our drinks and getting plates.


Slice and devour!

I can't believe it, one of my adventures in cooking was a homerun!  I'm so glad I bought two of these delightful breads.  Pizza night, Take 2!

No comments: