Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 13 -- More Helpful Than You Can Imagine

Apparently I'm the rebel of the 30-Day Challenge.  Once again, I am straying from today's prompt (a letter to someone who has hurt me recently) to instead talk about someone who has helped me recently.

Most of you know that I graduated grad school recently and am currently looking for a teaching job in Wake County.  Most of you also know that teaching jobs (or any jobs!) aren't the easiest things to get right now.  I've been waiting my whole life to become a teacher, but it doesn't make this new endeavor any less scary.

I'm a natural worrier.  I have an extremely Type-A personality, am an uberplanner, and like everything to be organized.  On my own, I would have pulled out all my hair by now and probably had several panic attacks waiting to hear back from schools.  Fortunately, God in His infinite wisdom gave me a partner in life who pulls me off of that ledge of craziness.

This partner is Jason, my husband of three years today!


Jason is intelligent, highly logical, and firmly grounded in God's Word.  When I begin to worry I've done something wrong in the job-searching process, he calmly and quietly reminds me that if I'm meant to get a job, I will get that job.  If I am not meant to get a certain job, nothing I could do would change that.  He also reminds me that God has a plan for each person, so I can be excited for (and not jealous of) my classmates who have already been hired and know where they will be in the fall.  Remembering that God is sovereign has challenged the Type-A in me, but has also given me peace.

Three years ago today... helping me then just like he helps me now

Even though he does not read my blog ("Why would I?  I live the blog!"), I wanted to devote today to sharing with the rest of you how helpful Jason has been and continues to be during this tough time.  Another thing that keeps me from jumping off the deep end into Insaneland is reading Scripture.  It reminds me that God is in control, knows now what His plans are for the rest of my life, and that no matter what happens with jobs, everything will be ok.

If you're dealing with anything tough in your life, know that I am always willing to that "helpful person" for you that Jason is for me.  I also hope that the following verses will be an encouragement to you like they have been for me.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  --Philippians 4:6-7


"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  -- Romans 8:28


"You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."  -- Psalms 16:11

No comments: