Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 6 -- Superheroes and Me

Today I am supposed to write about my favorite superhero.  Problem: I don't have a favorite superhero.  Sure, I've seen plenty of superhero movies.  I've seen the Spiderman trilogy, loved the X-Men trilogy (plus Wolverine), and have seen both Iron Man movies.  I've patiently watched Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, and Christian Bale all portray Batman... I have even seen *gulp* Daredevil.  That said, I don't have a favorite hero.

I didn't grow up pretending to be Superman or running around the neighborhood in underwear and a cape pretending to be Wonder Woman *cough cough, Jill*.  I did my fair share of playing dress up, but I was usually modeling my own fashion creations (see Day 1 fact #11).  I watched my fair share of television (still do), but only one "superhero" show comes to mind, so that's the one I'm going to talk about.

Ladies and gentlemen... let's. get. dangerous.

That's right, it's time to talk about Darkwing Duck!  "Darkwing Duck" aired on CBS at 4:30 on weekdays after "Garfield and Friends," one of my all-time favorite cartoon shows.

I don't remember a lot of specifics from this show (thanks, Wikipedia for refreshing my memory), but I remember loving when DW fought against any member of the "Fearsome Five," the group of five themed supervillians.
From left to right:
Megavolt -- Able to control electricity since a bully sabotaged his science experiment.  Interesting piece of trivia (again, thanks Wiki): He was voiced by Dan Castellaneta, voice of Homer Simpson.
The Liquidator -- Made of water (and able to manipulate water) after falling into a vat of water laced with a corrosive chemical.
Negaduck -- An evil version of Darkwing from the parallel universe called the "Negaverse."  He is the leader of the Fearsome Five.  He has no superpowers, but does disguise himself as Darkwing to make the hero look like a criminal.
Dr. Reginald Bushroot -- Half duck/half plant who is able to control other plants.  He became that way when he tried to fuse animal DNA and plant DNA to allow people to be able to feed themselves through photosynthesis.  Hmm, lots of supervillians are created through science-gone-bad, aren't they?
Quackerjack -- A toymaker gone insane, he uses dangerous playthings as weaponry or to cause chaos.


The other thing I remember from the show is the theme song:
Darkwing Duck!  When's there's trouble, you call DW!
Darkwing Duck!  Let's get dangerous.
Darkwing Duck!  Darkwing, Darkwing Duck!

For the full version, you can see the video here.

1 comment:

Jenelle Leanne said...

We own both seasons of DW if you ever want to borrow it and relive your past (or if you ever want to come over and watch it with me and Leiana, just let us know!) :) Darkwing is one of my favs as well! :)