Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 2 -- Why the Name?

Today I'm supposed to explain why I chose the blog name "Him and Her Self."  Well, this is going to come as a shocker to you all, but I chose it because my last name is "Self." *waits for jaws to drop*

Yep, that's pretty much it, but I guess I'll elaborate a bit.  I loved being a Davenport.  I am very proud of my parents and the person they raised me to be.  That's a large reason why I kept Davenport as my middle name.  That said, I love the last name "Self."  It's not three syllables and nine letters (not fun to deal with when first learning to talk and write).  It has an "f" which is my favorite lowercase cursive letter.  Plus, it lends itself to all kinds of fun puns.

I find great joy in "Self" puns.  I always have an excuse to be Selfish.  I can say that I love my Self without being conceited.  I can tell people that I'm part of a multimillion dollar Self Storage dynasty.  I feel special when I drive up to a Self Service gas station (though no one ever comes out to serve me... rude!).  Best of all, I can refer to Jason and me as "Him and Her Self."


Just to prove how much my family has embraced me as a Self, here are towels my parents gave us at our rehearsal dinner.  They're probably my favorite set that we own.  Then again, the orange embroidery sure helps.

Do you have any good "Self" puns?  If so, feel free to comment with them!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

So Megan, are you a "self" made person? Do you have self shelves? What do you do with your "self"? =D

Jill said...

I personally wouldn't say Meg is "self" made, but she is somewhat self-reliant, quite self-assured, and brimming with infectious, apple-cheeky, and eye-twinkly self-esteem. Heart u Meggie!

Jenn & David said...

I got nothing...but I love your blog!! ;)