Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 5 -- Somewhere I Have Been

Nearly three years ago, Jason and I went on our honeymoon to Belize.  I had never been out of the country before and, I admit, I had never heard of Belize before Jason started researching honeymoon destinations.  So to set the scene, here's a map of where Belize is located in Central America.

And a closer look at the country.  We flew from the US to Belize City, then took an 18-minute flight from Belize City to Dangriga, followed by a 45-minute van ride to arrive at our resort, Hamanasi.

The resort was the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation.  We hiked mountains in the rain forest, swam in waterfall pools, tubed down rivers, snorkeled around reefs, and visited Mayan ruins.  We also lounged by the pool and beach, ate gourmet meals, and took lots and lots of naps (usually after the hiking and the swimming and the snorkeling).  Here are a few pictures from our trip.

Getting ready to go hiking:

Halfway up the mountain to the waterfall:

At the Mayan ruins Xunantunich:

And relaxing in hammocks on the dock:

Belize was one of the most amazing places I've ever been, and I would highly recommend going there!

4 comments:

Amanda English said...

I wish I was there right now! =)It's funny how we both posted about our honeymoons... I guess that means we need to do some more adventuring!!!

Unknown said...

I was torn between honeymoon, Seattle (1st anni trip), and Hawaii, but since it's so close to the anniversary, I decided to reminisce about the 'moon.

It's hard with you being a day ahead. I read your posting and then try not to be influenced by it the next day!

Stuart said...

I see on the map there is a place called "Monkey River Town". Were you able to visit here? Sounds amazing :)

Unknown said...

Stuart, we missed out on "Monkey River Town." I guess we'll have to hit it on our return trip. :)